How can we apply effects such as Blur to our Masks?

Greetings, I have some doubts which I have not been able to clear even after researching for quite a while, so I thought I might get some answers here.

In a layering project, say I use multiple mesh masks to procedurally generate the area that I want to fill with a multi-channel layer. However, the combination of masks I am using require me to do some post processing later, and that includes blurring the resulting layer. But applying the blur effect on this layer seems to do nothing, since it’s not really applying to the mask but the color within the mask, which is a fill color, so no blurring shows. Applying a texture shows that the color within is indeed being blurred, but it just doesn’t bleed out of the mask, and I want it to. I assumed there’d be a mesh mask that would help with this, but not even the mesh mask builder seems to offer a global blur option.

I’m clearly missing something, so I was hoping someone here would be able to send me on the right direction. Appreciate any and all advice about this, thank you very much in advance.

(Also, barely related, but why are multiple filters such as the edge detection filter not working in the base color layer? I understand they work in grayscale, but shouldn’t I just be able to turn RGB into grayscale? How else am I supposed to do edge detection for my base color channel beyond using curvature maps?)

Hello @MikeEmm and welcome to our community!

Thank you for your post. Currently, it is not possible to apply filters to masks. The Mesh Bask Builder does have blur functions for its features like the curvature and ambient occlusion masks, but as you mentioned not a global blur option. However the team is currently looking into this functionality.

I wanted to mention that you could create a feature request for applying filters to masks. Posts made in the InstaMAT > Feature Requests category make it possible for others to add votes and additional feedback to show their interest. Just be sure to follow the feature request post format which is auto filled when creating a post in that category.

On a related note, there is already a feature request for Layer References, which could also help in this scenario. You can find that post here.

Regarding the edge detection filter, the edge detect node is a grayscale operation that will produce a grayscale output. I have brought this up internally so that the team can look into alternative workflows for edge detection.

Thanks again! :blush: