3dsmax 2023 - "InstaLOD Path not valid"

Hi there,
I’ve got a Pioneer license, so I’ve installed and authorized the “InstaLOD Pipeline for Windows”,
“InstaLOD Studio (Windows).zip”.

Starting the tool from shortcut works fine, so install should be OK.

Now I’ve copied the 3dsmax plugin files from “InstaLOD for Autodesk 3ds Max (Windows).zip” into my 3ds Max startup scripts folder \scripts\startup.

After start of 3dsmax 2023, I open the InstaLOD window and got asked to point to the
InstaLOD Pipeline installation directory, which I do correctly.

Sadly this always ends in error message: “InstaLOD Path not valid”.

Any help?

Hello @BenPocher and welcome to our community!

Thank you for your post. I will mention this internally and provide any additional information once it becomes available.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hello @BenPocher,

After testing internally with Autodesk 3ds Max 2023 version 3.5, and the latest version of InstaLOD Pipeline and InstaLOD for Autodesk 3ds Max, we were not able to reproduce the “InstaLOD Path not valid” error.

Can I please ask to verify that the path selected is the root folder of InstaLOD pipeline?

Also, are there any special characters in the path? Does the error still occur if InstaLOD Pipeline is in a different location?

Thanks for your patience as we continue to look into this matter.

Hello Pixby,

thanks for your replies!

Actually I think I’ve not installed “InstaLOD Pipeline for Windows”!

As noob I thought that “InstaLOD Pipeline for Windows” is included in (part of)
“InstaLOD Studio (Windows).zip”.

It seem that “InstaLOD Pipeline for Windows” is not part of the Pioneer license.
… can you confirm?

Well, after start of 3dsmax 2023, I open the InstaLOD window and got asked to point to the
InstaLOD Pipeline installation directory, which I pointed to the “InstaLOD Studio (Windows)"
install, which is what I got with the Pioneer license.

So now I understand why this always ends in error message: “InstaLOD Path not valid”.
… pointing to “InstaLOD Studio (Windows)", instead pointing to “InstaLOD Pipeline for Windows”.

Now the question(s)?
If I’m right and “InstaLOD Pipeline for Windows” is not part of the Pioneer license,
why I’m able to DL the 3dsMax plugins anyway?
This is misleading!

Also the manuals does not tell what file(s) are needed.
… in case of “InstaLOD Pipeline for Windows”, what is the filename to DL and
is included in which license?

Thanks for your time!

Hello @BenPocher,

Apologies for not catching that you are using an InstaLOD Pioneer license. Thanks for clearing that up. I’m glad we have discovered why the error is occurring.

The InstaLOD Pioneer and InstaLOD Studio licenses include only game engine integrations. The InstaLOD Node-Locked license provides access to DCC tool integrations, such as InstaLOD for 3ds Max.

As you have noted, even though you can still download InstaLOD for 3ds Max, InstaLOD Pipeline—the processing backbone that powers all our DCC plugins—is not included in your account.

Regarding the files required for InstaLOD for 3ds Max, they are:

• InstaLOD for Autodesk 3ds Max (Windows)
  • InstaLOD Pipeline (Windows)

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to report this internally so that we can better clarify the confusion regarding this matter.

Thanks!

Hello Pixby,

thanks for your replies!

I hope this post helps others and also your team in long term.

Sidenote: “DCC” tool integrations or “DCC” plugins was an unknown term to me.
Now I know its the things like 3dsMax or Blender plugins.

1 Like