Feature Request: Polygon displacement in Layering Workflows

I would love the ability to get polygon displacement in layering projects as well, not just in canvas projects.

Justification

Although Instamat is very specialized in procedural texture/mesh creation pipelines, and material/texturing requiring UVs is not ideal there, I think there is still a large market that prefers a layering workflow., especially for people working in character/creature creation and maybe more so for people working in the field of movies/TV/linear content, rather than games.

And for these, displacement is an essential part of the texturing pipeline, for which the current “height” displacement mode is not enough and there is no way around UV mapping yet.
Although this probably won´t replace sculpting tools like Zbrush, it would be a very attractive feature set and combined with the canvas-based materials and effects would make Instamat an even more complete tool for a larger user base, as it could make stuff like the creation of scales a lot easier (Thinking about guided scattering nodes and the ability to paint direction or scale or density with it for example).

Implementation Details

Ideally, it would work the same as in Canvas: You could set the tesselation amount and displacement strength in the settings OR you could control it directly from the layering panel (you could already control it via the opacity sliders for the strength, so maybe tesselation could still be controllable from there as well, not sure about which would be better).

You could start by adding that feature for normal displacement and then later integrate VDM displacement as well.

Ideally it should also work with explicit UV mapping , triplanar mapping and UDIMS.

I have not actually tried painting on very dense poly meshes yet, so I don´t know about the performance impact, which is why proper tesselation control is probably important, especially for UDIM based workflows.

Thanks for making the FR @insertmesh ! I do agree, it would be really nice to get displacement support esp. as the height channel in MAT is “full range” this means you can add height outside of just 0 and 1.