Let's Improve Localization: Japanese 🇯🇵

We’re currently using AI based translation to localize MAT into different languages.
There are obvious mistakes here that are difficult for us to identify and improve on.

But we’ve heard you ⏤ the MAT community wants to help here, so I’m creating this post.

How to help with the localization?

Please respond to this topic and post a screenshot of the localization that needs to be improved and include the proper translation. It’s important to be precise here so we know what to do without speaking the language ourselves. Thus right below your screenshot provide information about Content, the Context, a Justification and a full Replacement Sentence.

Example Post

Content
GPU Verwendung für neuronale Knoten zulassen

Context
In the application settings on the “Advanced” tab there is an odd use of the word “Knoten” for a “Node”. It’s better to use the English terminology here.

Justification
The word Knoten is not really used in the German CG industry, typically we defer to English terminology, in this case “Nodes”

Replacement
GPU Verwendung für neuronale Nodes erlauben

Want to help further with localization?

If you’d like to help further with improving the localization of InstaMAT, please send us an email or use our contact form and include your InstaMAT Cloud account username.

2 Likes

First of all, I hope you understand and forgive me if I am speaking unnatural English through machine translation.

スクリーンショット 2024-02-11 005131

Content

EN: Drag RMB to zoom.
JP: 人民元をドラッグしてズームします。

Context

The text that appears at the bottom of the screen when performing graph operations.
The previous text Press Space or Right-Click the canvas... Right-Click is used here, but the abbreviation RMB is used here, so it is interpreted as RMB.
This is seen in all other places that use RMB

Justification

人民元 is the equivalent of renminbi (Chinese yuan), which is a clear error.
RMB is Right Mouse Button, but since there is no appropriate abbreviation to describe the operation, it is better to leave the notation as RMB or unify RMB with Right-Click (right click).

Replacement

1. RMBをドラッグしてズームします。
  2. 右クリックのドラッグでズームします。 ← If you want to unify with Right-Click,
  3. 右クリックしながらドラッグでズームします。 ← It’s more communicative, but it’s a lot of text.

Not only here, It would look more natural to replace all 人民元 to RMB in all text.

Content

EN: Use the Wheel to zoom.
JP: 車輪を使用してズームします。

Context

Text that appears at the bottom of the screen to explain the operation of a graph or other operations.

Justification

The 車輪 represents the wheel of a car.
In Japan, ホイール, the katakana reading of Wheel, or マウスホイール is commonly used. Either one is acceptable, but wheel is better as it is shorter and closer to the original.

Replacement

1. ホイールでズームします。
  2. ホイールを使用してズームします。 ← Here’s one closer to the original, but it’s redundant

By the way, am I using “context” and “justification” correctly?

1 Like

スクリーンショット 2024-02-11 010235

Content

EN: OK
JP: わかりました

Context

This button is located in the lower right corner of the Preferences window. (There may be others, but I don’t know.)
This is the equivalent of “Yes” or “OK” in the dialog.

Justification

わかりました is equivalent to I understand.
It can be understood as it is, but it is more of a conversational expression. It is rarely used in dialog choices.
In Japan, the Yes (OK) No dialogues are understood as they are, so it is better to use these.

Replacement

1. OK
1 Like

Content

EN: Active Bakers
Inactive Bakers
JP: アクティブなパン屋さん
非アクティブなパン屋さん

Context

The right portion of the settings window for baking textures from a mesh.
which we interpret as the baker implementation selectable list for baking the texture.

There is no problem with アクティブな/非アクティブな.
The パン屋さん becomes the Bread shop(Bakery) equivalent, and it appears to the user that there is a list of active/inactive bakeries.

I think this is a problem caused by baker being treated as Bakery.

Justification

The パン屋/パン屋さん is a clear error.
There is no clear counterpart to baker, but since the word bake(ベイク) is familiar, it would be better to replace it with either baker or ベイカー in a unified manner.

Replacement

1. アクティブなベイカー/非アクティブなベイカー
  2. アクティブなBaker/非アクティブなBaker

I cannot decide which is more natural. (I would be interested to hear what others have to say about this.)
他の方の意見も聞いてみたいです。

I await responses from others as I have encountered the following…

An error occurred: No more than 3 consecutive replies are allowed. Please edit your previous reply, or wait for someone to reply to you.

1 Like

That’s awesome @Rapilias ! Do you think we need to improve a larger number of translations currently? If yes, we could also give you access to Abstract Translate our software we use to translate InstaMAT.

The bakery is funny :partying_face:

1 Like

@voidberg

Do you think we need to improve a larger number of translations currently?

Yes, There are still some translations that need to be improved.
if possible I would like to help translate this tool in order to convey its appeal to more Japanese people!

1 Like

Allow me to join in.
First of all, I am not an English speaker and use machine translation, so I am sure that my expressions may be unnatural.

About the Expose button

Content

ExposeGraph Window’s ‘Expose’ button.
EN:Expose
JP:さらす

Context

Expose Input Parameters / Expose Output Parameters popup window buttons use the unnatural word さらす.

Justification

The Japanese word さらす is not used for this kind of UI.
And it is also not a word that gives a good impression.

Replacement

I think 公開 is would be better, the same word used to translate Expose in the window title.
InstaMAT_ExposeUiSample2png

Further suggestions

However, many Japanese would find 公開 unnatural
Therefore, I suggest 展開 as a translation.
展開 means Expand in English.
This word is often used to display all the elements of a hierarchical structure, such as a directory, is 展開.
It is also used in Windows Explorer

SampleImage: Windwos11 Explorer
Sample_Win11_ExposeUI

Is this the correct way to write this? I hope I’m not being rude.

1 Like

@Yousei3
同じInstaMATを愛する日本のユーザーに出会えてうれしく思います!
より適切な表現を探るため、日本語で会話させて下さい!

Context の項目が無いようです。
このボタンは「グラフの入力/出力パラメータを 外部に公開して利用可能にする 」という役目のために存在しているので、公開の方が自然な表現に見えます。
公開: 「今まで狭い範囲にだけ見せていたもの(非公開だったもの)」「より広い範囲に見えるようにする」(いくつかのプログラミング言語で利用されている private → public のような変化)
展開: 閉じたり折りたたまれて 「小さくなったもの」「元に戻す」「広い範囲に配置/伝達する」 という使い分けだと思っています。

例として挙げて頂いたWindowsのExplolerの例は、「ツリーの中身が非公開になっている」のではなく「ツリーの中身が折りたたまれている」ので、これはExpand(展開)が適切です。
スクリーンショット 2024-02-11 131237

ニホンゴムツカシイ。

別件ですが、Let's Improve Localization: Japanese 🇯🇵 - #4 by Rapilias についてどう思いますか?
ベイカーとBakerのどちらが良いかや、他に適切な表現が無いかをぜひお聞きしたいです。

Summary

I think 公開 is right.
What do you think about Baker/ベイカー ?

1 Like

@Rapilias
返信ありがとうございます。 私も嬉しいです!
Context が抜けていましたね… ご指摘感謝です(恥)
取り急ぎ Context の項目を追加しました!
最初は学習のためにサイトを見ていたのですが、Rapiliasさんが投稿されているのを見て日本語訳のニュアンスは日本人ユーザーからのフィードバックが大事かなと投稿してみました。

Expose が「利用可能にするために公開する」という意味合いだと「公開」が良いかもです。
ニポンゴムズカシイネ…

「パン屋さん」 は私もベイクがパン屋になるかぁ と面白がっていた部分でしたw
日頃「ベイクする」とは言いますが、ベイクする機能を「ベイカー」と言う事がないので難しいです。
こちらも含めてもういちど触って考えて後ほど返信しますね。

Summary

I added a Context item that I forgot to write.
Now that I know the correct meaning of the function, I too wonder if 公開 is a good translation for Expose.

I will think about Baker/ベイカー and post again!

1 Like

@Rapilias
About Let’s Improve Localization: Japanese :jp: - #4 by Rapilias

Bakerに関してはベイカーとカタカナ語表記にすることが望ましいと私は思いました。以下がそのように考えた理由です。

• CG分野においてベイクという言葉はカタカナ語として十分に定着しており、ベイクを行うものという意味でベイカーと派生表記をしても、InstaMATを使おうとしている人には意味は正しく伝わるはずである
  • ローカライズされたUIの中に半端に英語表記のものが混ざっている状態は統一性に欠けており、好ましい状態ではない可能性がある(英語をカタカナ表記に直しただけのローカライズに何の意味があるのだ?という意見はCGソフトにおいてしばしば見られますが…)

Summary

I thought the word Baker would be better written as ベイカー.

1 Like

@YuLite
ご意見ありがとうございます。

半端に英語表記のものが混ざっている状態は統一性に欠けており

確かにその通りですね。とてもしっくり来ました。
一部の略語(LMB, GPU, SSAO …)やアプリケーション名(InstaMAT, Unity)等の例外を除いて基本的に全て日本語表記で統一するのが良さそうです!

英語をカタカナ表記に直しただけのローカライズ

アンビエントオクルージョン とかですかね?
原文で広く浸透してしまっているパターンか、他に適切な語が見当たらないパターンをよく見かけます。
悩ましいですが、個人的には検索で出てくる程度の知名度がある文字列であれば、カタカナに直しただけであってもローカライズの意味はあるのかなと思っています。
環境遮蔽とかに訳されても逆に分からない…

試しにパン屋一覧メッシュベイク項目の一覧を作ってみました。
よろしければご意見を頂ければと思います。

アンビエントオクルージョンの設定
アンビエントオクルージョン
曲率
メッシュID
ワールド空間の法線
位置
厚さ
---
重心
ベント法線
ディスプレイスメント(`変位マップ`で通じたことが無く…)
タンジェント空間の法線(`接線`/`接空間`が通じたり通じなかったりでこれも困る)
不透明度
反射率
転写(これだけ用途が正しく理解できていません…)
頂点カラー

Summary

• `Baker’ would be the most appropriate, since the mixture of half-English spellings lacks uniformity.
  • How do we handle localization that is just English rewritten in katakana?
  • Create mesh baker element list
1 Like

@Rapilias
はい。慣習的にカタカナ表記で用いられている用語はカタカナ語で表記していく方が、多くの人にとって馴染みやすく混乱を招かずに済むと思うので良い方針だと思います(この辺りの用語選択の基準は既存のソフトのローカライズが大変参考になりそうです)。

アンビエントオクルージョンの設定
アンビエントオクルージョン
曲率
メッシュID
ワールド空間の法線
位置
厚さ
---
重心
ベント法線
ディスプレイスメント(`変位マップ`で通じたことが無く…)
タンジェント空間の法線(`接線`/`接空間`が通じたり通じなかったりでこれも困る)
不透明度
反射率
転写(これだけ用途が正しく理解できていません…)
頂点カラー

こちらの翻訳案も他のソフトでよく見かける多くの人が馴染みやすい表記であるように思います(私もTransfer Mapについては用途が分からず適切な訳が分かりませんが。マップの用途にもよりますが、転送という場合もあるのかもしれません)

Summary

• I think Baker’s translation proposal presented by @Rapilias is a good one.
  • We do not know how the Transfer Map is used, so it is difficult to determine how it would be appropriate to translate it
1 Like

@Rapilias
所用で返信遅くなってしまいました。
要素の訳語までもう出来ている… すごい!

・Exposeの訳語について

ノードにある一見似たような挙動の Expand Cpllaps ボタンに引っ張られて誤解していました。
Expose Imput Parameters をよく触ってみると、こちらだとスイッチで選択したパラメータ以外の本当にどこにもなかったinputが一緒に出てくる事も有るので「公開」で良いと思います。

・パン屋さんの代わりの訳語について

他ではどうかな?とちょっと検索してみると、3dsmaxや、Blenderアドオン、Modoなどで日本語訳UIがありベイク処理要素ベイクタイプベイクアイテム とバラバラですのでカタカナ語の ベイカー でも問題なさそうです。

@Rapilias @YuLite
お話の流れを見るに統一して、Meshベーキング も、メッシュベーキングメッシュベイキング にしたほうが良いですね。

Summary

I agree with the 公開 translation too.
Baker doesn’t have a common Japanese translation, so it looks fine as ベイカー .
@Rapilias’s “mesh baker element list” is a good work!.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your contributions @Yousei3 and @Rapilias .

It might be easier to give you access to our translation tool Abstract Translate if you want to translate a lot. To give you access, you will need to sign an NDA with Abstract as it’s an internal tool. But then you can easily translate, our automatic translations are not marked as approved so they are easy to find. You can also enter your name so we know who translated it.

To get access, please submit this form: Contact – Abstract
Enter your full name and provide some context so the email goes to the right places.

This is how our Abstract Translate tool looks:

2 Likes

@voidberg

Thank you!
Let me ask you a few questions here and there before I send you an e-mail.

1. may I share only the premise of “translating InstaMAT” and ask for input from close friends and community members?
  2. is it permissible (if 1 is allowed) to publish a list of “current translations” and ask where additional translations are needed, or to discuss the translations I have done?
  3. Can I use InstaMAT on my computer to preview the translations I have done with this tool? (and is this question the scope of the NDA?)
  4. i intend to sign the NDA with my real name, is it ok if i enter Rapilias as the name of the translator? (I do not want to disclose my real name outside of the contract itself.)
  1. Yes, I think it’s important to understand what the consensus is around the best translation.
  2. Yes, the application will show you “unapproved” translations easily
  3. I am not sure if you can preview the translations right now. I’ll have to check.
  4. Yes, that’s understandable and acceptable!

@voidberg
Thank you! That’s enough information!
I have sent a request from form! I hope you will check it out.

こんにちは、Rapiliasです。
この度、ボランティアとしてInstaMATの日本語ローカライズのお手伝いをさせて頂くこととなりました。

前提

私自身は、3Dの世界にとても詳しいというわけでは無く、本職の人間でもありません。
そのため、翻訳の際にはInstaMATコミュニティの日本ユーザーの皆様の力をお借りして、より良いローカライズを提供できるように努めたいと考えています。

このローカライズにどの程度の需要があるかは未知数ですが、しばらくはこのスレッド内で翻訳の状況を共有したり、判断に困った内容についての相談が出来ればと考えています。
また、このフォーラムで共有した翻訳がどのタイミングでリリースされるのかは、私自身は把握していないため、リリースに関連する質問には一切お答えできない事をご了承ください。

状況(2024/02/16)

InstaMATの人の手による日本語翻訳は始まったばかりです。
現在は翻訳ワークフローの確認と、言語の特徴に関するいくつかのすり合わせを行っており、実際の翻訳が始まるのはもうしばらく後になる見込みです。

次回もしくはその次回の更新時には、Let's Improve Localization: Japanese 🇯🇵 で指摘があった翻訳をはじめとした、「明確に間違っているもの」「単語」「翻訳が容易なメニュー」に焦点を当てた改善を提供できればと考えています。
その後コミュニティの皆様からのフィードバックを受けて、さらなる改善を行う予定です。それまでもうしばらくお待ちください。
「長く複雑な文章」「未把握の機能(主にMaterialize ImageやMaterial Layering)に関する翻訳」はしばらく時間がかかるかもしれませんが、早期に直すべき物があれば優先的に対応させて頂きます。

前述の通り、今後は翻訳の進展や翻訳候補の相談などがあれば、随時このフォーラムに投下していく予定なので、InstaMATの日本語の翻訳状況に興味のある方は、時折このフォーラムを確認して頂ければ幸いです。

1 Like

日本語翻訳の第1弾をInstaMATに送信しました。
が、まだInstaMAT上で表示確認が出来ていないため上手く直っていないかもしれません。
壊れていたらごめんなさい。

この内容は、次か次の次のバージョンにて配信されると思います。

主な変更内容は以下の通りです。

致命的/判読不能な項目の修正

人民元パン屋すべて救う を始めとした多数の壊れた翻訳が修正されます。

メニューや項目一覧の表現を統一

いくつかのメニューや項目一覧にて散見される、~する/~します の有無を統一します。
入力パラメータを公開する入力パラメータを公開 など、より簡潔な表現になるよう調整しました。

この変更はツールチップなどの文章には適応されていません。

不自然に英単語が浮いていた箇所をカタカナに変更

mesh, graphといった、英単語が独立していて違和感を覚える箇所を見つけられる範囲でカタカナに統一しました。
ただし、Layering, Atom/Element Graph といったInstaMATの固有機能に関連する箇所はカタカナにせず英語で統一しています。
例えば、階層化, レイヤリング を出来る限り Layering に統一しています
これにより、従来以上に違和感が出る箇所が存在します( Layering セッション 等)が、将来的により最適な表現を見つけられればと考えています。

ベイクウインドウのベイク項目を英語で統一

このフォーラム内で、カタカナに統一するように結論を出しましたが、横幅が足りないUIの考慮や、翻訳キーがベイクウインドウ以外で利用されていて、他の箇所で余計に違和感が出ることを危惧して、一旦英語に統一しました。
将来的により良い見た目になるように改善を検討しています。

その他細かな修正

ウインドウスウインドウFlash レンダリングされたノードレンダリングされたノードを強調グレースケールの置換可能グレースケール化を許可 等、理解は出来るもののイマイチだと感じたいくつかの翻訳を修正しました

上記の変更は、完全である保証はなく、いくつかの抜け漏れがある事を予めご了承ください。
今回は全体の4 ~ 5割程度の箇所に手を加えましたが、変更済みの箇所でもまだ不自然な表現が多く存在しています。
もし違和感のある翻訳が目に留まったら、遠慮せずご指摘ください。

1 Like