Output Log Error Messages

I am trying to process a .obj mesh file. I am stuck right at the beginning after I creat the profile, open a scence with the import the .obj file selected. The output log displays two error messages:

ERROR: OBJ: Unable to locate material file “Test 1.mtl”

ERROR: NeoTech::Texture::InitializeWithFile: failed to load ‘G:/Chair 1/“Test 1.jpg”’

The .obj file, jpg texture file and .mtl file are all in the same folder. I am using InstaLOD Studio 2023 Update 2, v6.1(build August 2, 2023) 11:13:39 release. (the free version) I am new to instaLOD. What do these messages mean? Or, do I need the full version of instaLOD to process .obj that have texture files?

Thank you for your time.

Hello @bruceg and welcome to our community!

Thank you for reaching out. I have relayed your post internally and will provide more information once it becomes available.

Thanks!

Hello again @bruceg,

Based on the output log you have provided, is it possible that the jpg texture file’s name contains quotes? (“”) I was able to reproduce your result by adding quotes to the name of a texture file after the file extension: ”Noise 1.png”.

By removing the quotes from the name of the texture file and re-linking the texture with the updated path in the Material Editor panel, I was able to successfully load the texture for an OBJ file.

Please let us know if we were able to help.

Thanks!

I did not see quotation marks around the texture file name. In addition, I did not see quotation marks around any of the files. So, i renamed them all and took care not to have any spaces or any other characters. These are the messages I get on loading and optimizing the obj file:

ERROR: OBJ: Unable to locate material file “Motor Gen Model.mtl”
ERROR: NeoTech::Texture::InitializeWithFile: failed to load 'C:\Users\Bruce Gerhardt\Desktop\Motor Gen April 10\Motor Gen April 10 Files\OBJ Model"Motor Gen Model.jpg"

renamed files and folders:
ERROR: Failed to read compressed image data from file=C:\Users\Bruce Gerhardt\Desktop\Motor Gen Apr 7 OBj Files\Test 1.jpg

WARNING: Cannot decode data

ERROR: NeoTech::Texture::InitializeWithFile: failed to load ‘C:\Users\Bruce Gerhardt\Desktop\Motor Gen Apr 7 OBj Files\Test 1.jpg’
INFO: Loaded scene in 0.29s with 1 mesh, 80697 polygons and 40511 vertices (bounding sphere radius is 10.89 units)

I uninstalled instaLOD and re-installed it on another drive. I still have the same messages shown above. I tried the obj file in Blender 3.6.1. I had no problems viewing and editing the mesh and texture.

I am using v2.1.0 build 17532 of Agisoft Metashape Professional to create the model, that I then export as an .obj file. I did try exporting a .ply from Metashape, and loading it into instaLOD. I get similar messages. instaLOD won’t read my texture or material files. I can reduce polygon count, but I can’t do anything with my texture files.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Hello @bruceg,

Thank you for the additional information. Would it be possible for you to provide us with the scene (both OBJ and MTL files) for us to test with? I can initiate a PM if you would prefer to send the files privately.

Also, based on the output log messages you have posted, there still seem to be quotes somewhere in the OBJ or MTL file. It’s possible that there are quotes around the texture path in the MTL file.

Thanks!